Sunday, February 15, 2015

Greetings (Blog post 1)




From an early age, art has always been an outlet for me to express my inner feelings and emotions. And when I say art, I mean many forms: music, painting, drawing, poetry. When it came to this assignment, I got to thinking. Could I really show a progression of skill in writing poetry? Within myself I prefer poetry that is not conforming to any rhyme or order, just pure, raw emotion put into words. So therefore, perfecting this skill seems impossible to me. If I were to try and perfect another kind of poetry with more structure, I would lose the creative interest. With music, I already learn songs on a weekly basis. I believe there is a creative process to learning music and if I were to try and schedule this, it would take the creativity out of this process, therefore taking my passion along with it. This leaves me with traditional art. Every toddler draws with crayons to a certain extent throughout their childhood. Pen/ marker/ crayon/ pencil on paper was always my number one choice whenever I had the option, (or the need) to be creative. I have taken countless art classes throughout the years in many different schools. Currently I am taking my second weekend workshop and sixth class overall at Tyler School of Art. In my opinion, portraits are the ultimate test in skill. Therefore, for the next 7 weeks I will drawing a self portrait everyday.My hopes are that throughout my self portraits I will see a clear progression from beginner to expert. I would also like to see a reflection of self image within each one. Meaning, that if I am feeling negative towards myself, I could possibly see a representation of this within my art. If a self portrait seems rushed or messy, this is better than a false sense of perfection . What I mean by this is that I want my portraits to be as true to my emotions as possible, for this is true art. A big part of my end product is to use new and different media to have a range of portraits in different media such as graphite, charcoal and watercolor. At the end of this project I will have a larger portfolio, greater skill, and a good grade.

6 comments:

  1. I can tell you are very passionate about self-expression and I have seen some of your works and the level of perfection that you desire.I am sure that the self portrait will look great as long as you use your already existing standards. I know that charcoal and has an extremely large range in terms of shading and textures, I can only imagine the amount of personality that you can put into your portrait. I cannot wait to see how they turn out.
    I would also like to know if you have any intentions of using paint. I know paint is not as common as a pen or pencil, but I just wanted to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As of right now I have a couple (2-3) portraits done in watercolor. I really enjoy using oil paint, but so far I have only used it on larger scale projects. I never really use acrylic paint because I really don't like it and I'd rather use oil. Hopefully I can push past this and give it a try! Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. I think your idea is really interesting and i am interested to see how your final product looks compared to your first pieces of artwork. Also, I think it would be really interesting to see your portraits. I have seen your art before and i would really like to see the portraits your drawing, so why not post some of your portraits on your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen your art before and what I can say is that you are a talented person. I used to want to be an artist myself, but then I realized that tracing doesn't count as art. One thing I know that you'll capitalize on is originality. The importance of this cannot be emphasized enough. And if your interested, Ase Attire wouldn't mind working with you as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete